Thursday, November 27, 2014

It's all worth it...

Clients sometimes ask “Do you like being a physical therapist?”  in which I reply, “Yes.”

My colleagues and I have worked with thousands of people from all walks of life and varying injuries.  In the time we spend with our clients, a few sessions to a few months or longer, the provider/client relationship is formed.  A lot of times we know you and your body better than your doctor does.  In time, the client must continue their path to wellness on their own.  Each of us often wonders where some clients have gone and how they have been doing.  It’s like visiting your old teachers from school.  In fact, I actually have kept in touch with one of mine from grade school.  In a recent conversation with her, she told me that she often wonders whatever became of her former students.  Each group of students she gets to know over the school year treating them like they were her own.  She certainly has seen me grow up and followed my path to adulthood with great pride. 
Every once in a while, a client drops me a note.  Usually the note tells me how they are doing and what they have done since graduating from physical therapy.  Sometimes we’ve gotten notes from the least likely of clients but nonetheless, the message inside these notes is well received with a smile.  I’ve had many a warm and fuzzy moments from these updates knowing what my clients had to go through to get to where they are today.  This same feeling is had by my grade school teacher from special connections made with former students who made the effort to keep in touch. 
Even the little successes during treatment sessions or even post PT gives me that excited moment for my clients watching them accomplish something they probably didn’t think they would ever do again.  In some ways, it’s like a momma bird watching their little one spread their wings and they take flight.  It is these instances that make my career worth it.
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I’m thankful for all these moments.  I’m thankful for the opportunity to help someone who would benefit from my skills and empowering them to reach the next level.  I’m thankful for the trust and loyalty my clients place in me and my colleagues.  I’m thankful for the warm and fuzzy moments I get to share and experience in my career working with my clients.    I’m thankful for the many relationships that have been forged. I’m thankful for the lessons in personal and career growth.  Finally, I’m thankful for my friends, family and my health.  Despite all the little negative bits that life throws at us, it’s all worth it.
From the CMPT family to yours…Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment